Good health is one of the primary concerns of every individual as it aids the good living. One of the best ways to attain good health is to exercise regularly. Plank exercise happens to be of worthwhile benefits to human health and well being.
Plank exercise involves maintaining a similar position to a push-up for as long as possible. It is also referred to as ‘Front Hold’ or ‘Hover’ or ‘Abdominal Bridge’. The common of plank exercise is the forearm plank which is held in a push-up-like position, the body weight lies on the forearms, elbows, and toes. There are various other types such as the side plank and the reverse plank.
Plank exercise has numerous benefits for human health. A few of these benefits are:
- Planks strengthen more muscles: Planks work the human core and the entire body. To engage in plank exercise, the arms, legs and your entire abs are required, making all these body parts to stretch out which is an efficient way to exercise.
- Posture improvement: With a strengthened back, chest, shoulders, neck, and abs, plank exercise makes it easy to keep your shoulders back and also keep your lower back in a neutral position while sitting or standing, which are important components of good posture. Planks also assist you to build isometric strength in your core muscles and this provides the power to hold you back from hunching while standing or sitting for a long period of time.
- Increased body flexibility: Planks are efficient ways to stretch out the lower part of your body. Maintaining the hold position elongates your hamstrings and the arches of your feet, making the plank position a dual strength and stretch exercise. Side planks with an extended arm effectively stretch the sides of the human body.
- Improved metabolism: Plank exercise helps to burn much more calories. This exercise makes stronger massive muscle groups in the body and having strong muscles means more calories will be burnt when exercising and also when resting. Burning calories will make on hungry. Eating a healthy diet is advised.
- Better mood: Plank targets muscles that and strained. Strained body parts will cause physical stress which will weigh on one’s mental state. Planking will get rid of the strains and stressors which will also ease one’s state of mind.
A plank workout is a simple form of exercise which if done regularly will bring about important benefits to human health.